Download desired DNN version
1. Browse to http://Dotnetnuke.com
2. Click on Community --> Downloads. Bypass the 'Standard Process' and scroll down the page to the 'Install Package ....Just the files needed for run-time deployment'.
** I was never able to get the download platform or WebMatrix to work reliably, which is why I bypass it. Theoretically it should automatically create a new site for you, but it was never reliable for me. If it works for you, more power to you.
2. Download ‘Install’ version (not source, not update)
3. Put in download folder where you can find it. Comes as a zip file.
4. UNBLOCK the file before unzipping. Right click on the zip file. Click on Properties. On the General tab, click the ‘Unblock’ button at the bottom of the dialog box. (If it’s already unblocked, it seems to stay unblocked, and if so, the ‘Unblock’ button will not be there.
5. Unzip the file into a folder (NOT where you want to put it to be a web site)
Unzipping should create/retain all the appropriate file directory structure.