Create a new blank database in SQL
1. Open SQL Server Management Studio
2. Log in as administrator (sa)
** I wish I'd named my SQL server instance something other than 'SQLEXPRESS' (which was the suggested default) because I think it's confusing because the SQLExpress version that gets installed with set ups like Matrix uses a different file type and requires something different in the web.config file than the SQL 2008 RC database version.
3. First create login that will be db owner (if not already created).
** I create the same login and password that I intend to use on the production server.
Click on Security, right click on Logins, select Add New Login from the dropdown menu.
4. Enter the login and password information then click OK. I usually 'uncheck' password expiration on my local machine.
You should see the new login on the list of logins.
The new login just created will appear on the list of logins.
5. Right click on Databases then select New Database from the menu.
6. Enter the name of the database then click on the' ...' button near the Owner box. This will allow you to select the database owner.
7. Either enter the login name or browse to select the login that will be the database owner.
8. Click OK to create the database.
The new database will appear on the list of databases.
You now have an empty database ready to use for installing an instance of DNN.
** you will need to remember the name of the database, the login and password